In my opinion, there isn't much about a woman's look more important than her eyes! Maybe that's because I'm a blonde and our eyelashes and brows tend to disappear if we neglect to put make-up on.
Either way, my passion for the look of eyes has led me to become somewhat of a make-up fanatic/expert!
The blonde thing...mixed with extremely judgmental 'image consultants' who used to flog me based on how 'perfect' my make-up was when I was a news anchor. (YES, we did our OWN make-up!)
So, let's just say I was happy to hear when a listener noticed all of my years of working on it:
I just wanted to say I love your eye makeup. seems like its always perfect when I see pics of you. Do you still get eyelash extensions? do you have any advice for me to use to get that dramatic eye look if I can't afford extensions.
Why...thanks for asking! I happen to have quite a few tips for ya!
1) I live, eat, breathe and swear by my mascara! It's called VOLUMINOUS by L'oreal and it's FABULOUS! -black is best (most dramatic) and get the CURVED brush! You can get it at any drug store it's like 10 bucks. Here it is:
2) Put cover-up, powder and then a matte/white or beige shadow on the entire eyelid before applying the color you want in the crease of the eyelid. If you're not already doing this, you'll be amazed at how much cleaner your eyes will look.
3) Eyeliner! I think eyeliner is the second most important thing about making the eye stand out, next to mascara of course. My personal FAVORITE and obsession is by Chanel. I know, I know, you're thinking how am I going to afford that! Well, it's less than $40 a bottle and it lasts FOREVER!!!!!! You can get it online or at department stores if they carry Chanel beauty products. Here it is:
4) Get a FREE lesson! Some of the best make-up tips and lessons I've gotten over the years came from a casual conversation at the MAC store. Go talk to the ladies there, ask them to SHOW you how to apply eye make-up from start to finish. (of course, don't buy their eyeliner or mascara) Also, ask the lady which products are luxury versus NECESSITY! They'll usually be honest with you. You may just need a few things to keep costs down. Or maybe all you need is the lesson on how to apply eye shadow. You'd be surprised how much skill is involved and how much better it can look!
5) BUY nice BRUSHES! This can also be accomplished at the MAC store. The artist there can show you which are MUST haves for the eyes. Trust me, a $50 investment in real brushes will make all the difference in the world! This is what my eyeshadow brush looks like and it's AMAZING!
6) If you don't already...get your eyebrows PROFESSIONALLY waxed! I don't care how thin or thick your brows are...EVERYONE can look cleaner and more groomed with a quick waxing of the brow. Even blonde brow hairs can make the whole eye look messy after applying shadow. My girl is named 'Rameh' at this number 407-896-6335
Don't forget to email me with 'Yo Laura' questions. email@example.com and make sure to put "Yo Laura" somewhere in the email so I know it's okay to read on the air. Besos! xoxo